Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring Break Part One!

Well, it's certainly been a long time, hasn't it? Well, I did go on Spring Break with the parentals last week. I'll recap that just briefly. 
So mom and dad arrived on Friday. It was the warmest day since I've been here. So I walked around Hyde Park for the better part of two hours. It was nice to see so many people out! The last time the park was so full was the snow day. I'm sure there's some epic connection to be drawn from that about Londoners and their weather, but I'm not feeling up to it. And then I made myself the best sandwich ever, and just as I take my first bite, there's a really annoying knock at the door. I think about ignoring it in favor of my cucumber/red pepper/two cheese and mayo on wheat, but think better of it, because it will just keep happening. And guess who it is! My parents. So then we go walk around Kensington Gardens, then retire to their place (up five flights) for hot coco and birthday present. Best conversation ever. Thanks for the salt seester! We went to dinner somewhere, I'm sure. But I can't remember.
On Saturday, we followed a William Morris trail across London. Morris was the founder of the English Arts and Crafts movement, which was a backlash to the Industrial Revolution, and the deskilling of labour. We started off at the Victoria and Albert Museum, in the tea room decked out in full A&C style. Then we went upstairs to the design section, which was quite difficult due to various works and repairs. You would think that they wanted to trap us! We then went to All Saints on St. Margaret Street, off of Oxford Circus (where I got my shoes!). It is a Catholic Church in an A&C style. It was almost entirely tiled, top to bottom, walls included. Mom and I played Name Your Saints. It's funny how you absorb a popular memory of random things. So we could name St Catherine because she has a wheel (I think she was martyred on one..wait..yes, wikipedia supports me), and there's a British firecracker called St.Catherine's Wheel. And I read about it in Harry Potter when Fred and George leave Hogwarts in the fifth book. Funny how these things stay with you, eh? So then we went to Morris's house where his printing press still is. We watched some one make a print, and looked through books of fabric designed by Morris and his daughter, Jane. After that, we went down past Tooting Bec (yes, I got a photo!) to Merton Abbey Mills, an old mill sight that was the the location of a few A&C mills and factories. I got a giant bowl. I hope it survived the trip home. 
Then we had dinner with Paul Havelka.  Yeah, I know! I've now seen him more here in London than in all my memory. We went to a tasty Thai place. 
Sunday, we went to Kew Gardens. It was very pretty, if a bit cold. The coolest part was the hot house with more orchids than I've ever seen in my life.  Then we went to the transport museum. I've been there once before, but I'm doing a project on the art of the Underground, so I was happy to have mom pay my entrance fee to take notes. We left dad after about an hour to try and see Twelfth Night. But apparently, they were sold out for the next two weeks. I guess they make a pretty good business selling over-priced tickets to poor, desperate tourists who are willing to wait in line forever. The lady told us tickets would be £32.50, and using all our pocket change and one piece of lint that looked like 50p, mom and I managed to make it up. Turns out the tickets were £32.50 each. Oh. So instead, I bought mom some tea in the crypt at St.Martin of the Fields. It's been spiffed up since the last time I was there. Which is very bizarre, if you think about it. A crypt. Spiffed up with a circular elevator and everything.  Then we went to the National Portrait Gallery and sat in front of the Seurat (The Bathers) for about 15 minutes. Then Van Gogh. The Monet. Can you tell our feet were tired?
Then dad was late. Of course. I think I was the most timely of the bunch, this go around. 
Monday we left London. My description will now get increasingly less descriptive. 
Monday, we went to Devon. It was pretty, if a bit wet. Dad met a business contact in BFE. 
But it was prettier than that. We saw some moors and stayed the night at a pub where the dog was allowed up on the seat with you. It was the old court house, and they had a coat of arms from Charles II, and a Tudor frieze from before that. Just chillin' in a room. Hey there, history. Oh hey there, Becca. 'Sup? (This will become some what of a theme of this trip.)
So Tuesday was similar. But add in gale force winds, more moors, and buckets of rain. I think I can honestly say it was pissing down rain when we arrived in the Cotswolds, and not feel bad. Mainly because it was. We ate at the Mermaid, because it was the only reasonable place in town. Mom, dad and I had tasty, tasty cider. Dad and I bickered (see the subject of 'themes' a few lines up).
I'll leave the scene set at pouring rain, because it will be the last time we see it for the trip. 
Now, I'll go fix the colors of the blog because some people apparently can't handle it. 
Try and comment will you? Hey Grandma! Will you comment, too, so I can see if it still works for at least one person?
To be continued....
 

2 comments:

Beth D said...

comment??

Beth D said...

comment!! i didn't want to write something big if it didn't work... enjoy the seasoning salt - i was going to get you salt and smoked paprika, but they had it mixed together and it was genius!

these colors are much easier to read, btw, thanks kiddo!

i am going to look up morris' fabrics now, i want some! i'll bet they're beautiful. i'm excited to hear the next installment and to comment on it!