Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Best City in the World

So on Thursday morning, we went to Edinburgh, Scotland. It turned out to be amazing. At this point in the trip, most of us are annoyed with each other, and in particular, I think the four girls in my room are about at the end of their ropes. That's the problem with only each other for company. So, understandably, we were all a bit apprehensive about the trip. We got in at about 2, and went to the Whiskey Experience. What a way to start our time in the land of Whiskey. We learned how they make whiskey (though we didn't get to tour a brewery) and then learned how to taste it. It was pretty intense. I learned that I like whiskey from the Lowlands a lot more than everyone else, who prefers it from the Highlands. But, coincidentally, the underlying taste from Highland whiskey is the same smell that gives me migraines, so that's out, due to bad associations. Then we went to dinner at a pub called Deacon Brodie's. Apparently, Robert Lewis Stevenson got his idea for Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from this Deacon, who was a good guy during the day, and a robber at night. There was tons of drama! at dinner, and we separated for the evening, in an effort to cool everyone down. 
Friday, we had a bus tour of the city and then toured Edinburgh castle. It was not as dressed up as Windsor, but it was good enough for me. We saw where James VI was born (he later became James I of England), and where Mary, Queen of Scots lived. We also saw a map grossly mislabeled. In the city of Edinburgh, home of smart people like Walter Scott, Adam Smith, and David Hume, as well as a massive university, they apparently cannot tell where on the map Edinburgh is. Who ever made this map, labeled Edinburgh where Glasgow is. Hmm. not the brightest.
Then we had Dim Sum. I always want to try new things, and we have a girl who is Chinese, and always wants to go to Dim Sum. Unfortunately, there's never anything I can eat there. I suppose I like American Chinese because they usually have veggie options, and the real stuff doesn't. 
after lunch, I laid on the grass for about 45 minutes, just in enjoying the sun. It was great. Then I did some homework, and we went to dinner at a french place for dinner. It was another situation of few veggie options. But I got a good goat cheese on bread thing. 
The next day, though, was the best! We woke up super early and climbed Arthur's Seat, which is the highest point in the surrounding area. We could see all the way to the Firth of Forth, which is the best geographical term ever! It was a group of about 8, and we  started off seeing the ruins of the Abbey of St. Andrew, and then hiked up further to the top. It was once a volcano, so it was rocky and I felt like a mountain goat. At the top you could see so much! It was just 360 degrees and super windy. We walked to another hill top and then walked back down. The whole time, Molly, Parasa and I did a stunning rendition of the Sound of Music, with a grand finale of Edleweiss. It was great, believe you me. We included spinning 'round and everything. 
Then we went to the the cafe where J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter. The Elephant House hasn't given into the press, and doesn't really mention it. But it has amazing food which is really cheap. I had a brie, apple, and red current baugette, with a cranberry smoothie. Tasty! I felt so relaxed after that hike. We walked along the Royal mile, and then I took a nap. Then we had a pint and went to a Mexican place for dinner and drinks. It was so good! I had some tasty nachos. Every one was really impressed, because no one expected to ever find good Mexican here. 
Today we're on our way home. It will take us six hours, two trains and a coach. Ugh. We got up early to enjoy our last day in the city, but everything was closed! It was shocking and a bummer. But now we're on the train, and I'm taking a break from writing my essay.

And now I'm home! Isn't it amazing how the internet works that way? We just had the craziest journey home. Right after I wrote the above, our train suddenly terminated in the middle of no where. But of course, we couldn't hear the conductor tell us that, so we sat around stupidly for a few minutes, and then followed a mass exodus to another train. We lost our seats, of course. Then we had to get off the train two stops later and take replacement coach services for an hour, and then get back onto another train to travel 25 minutes into King's Cross. I nearly got cut in two as we raced to jump on the train just as it left. Then, I got stuck in between two cars as I was trying to go to the loo. Scariest moment of my life, but thankfully there was a man on the other side who helpfully pushed the "Door Open" button a few times... 
Then we hoped on the Piccadilly line, then caught the bus to the Royal Albert Hall so we had a five minute walk instead of 20. Long night. 
Some pictures are uploaded to flikr. There's a video, too! I won't have time to tag it, so I'll let you know that it's a 360 of the top of Arthur's Seat. Pretty neat. I was balanced precariously on the top of a jagged rock, so I apologise for the shakiness. 

No comments: