Friday, January 9, 2009

First Post!

So I've been in London for three days now. I'm surprised that everyone thinks that I've done tons of things already. But I'll confess that these last three days have been pretty mellow. The first day, I stayed at my professor's flat but it was really cold, so we didn't really venture out, except for dinner. We ate at a tiny, hole in the wall falafel place, which was cheap and tasty. 
Yesterday, we moved in. After sleeping through my alarm, I got a bit of a late start to the day. We walked to my dorm, which is literally across the street from Hyde Park (hence the name of this blog). I will have proof tomorrow, as you can see the park from my window. I'm in a room with three other girls, which will be interesting. We are right next to the Dutch embassy, and can see into their offices. Our bathroom is tiny and we have the smallest one in the whole apartment. The girl with a single has a larger bathroom that we do.  We also have the most number of people in our room, so this is especially troubling. Thank goodness I don't have an extensive routine in the morning. 
Last night we went to The Goat's Tavern right down the road for dinner and a drink. Tasty. So that was a good way to start the night. Tonight I'm  just taking it easy, but every one has plans for Saturday night revelry. We plan on going to the Natural History Museum tomorrow, which is only a short distance away. Today I ate breakfast in Hyde Park, which was nice, but freezing. We seem to have a cold snap right now, and I'm decked out in my long underwear, several layers, scarves and gloves. Our house is really old, and the heat doesn't really work, so it's quite chilly right now. Hopefully it will warm up in the next few days. 
We also just received our stipend, which is over double what it was expected to be, which is a very nice surprise! It means more money for things like theater, or concerts as well as food and maybe travel. The Royal  Albert Hall us just down the road, which is convenient. 
So life is good right now, but I'm still a bit too tired to be communicative. 

No comments: