Friday, January 23, 2009

Because I can't describe it myself

Here's a quote about London that I found particularly appealing, in a book I'm reading called "London: The Biography" by Peter Ackroyd. It's a behemoth at 779 pages, and I'm 76 pages in. 
 A 19th century American, James Russell Lowell once described London thusly:

"I confess that I never think of London, which I love, without thinking of that palace which David built for Bathsheba, sitting in hearing of one hundred streams-- streams of thought, of intelligence, of activity. One other thing about London impresses me beyond any other sound I have ever heard, and this is the low, unceasing roar one hears always in the air; it is not a mere accident, like a tempest or a cataract, but it is impressive, because it always indicates human will, and impulse, and conscious movement; and I confess that when I hear it I almost feel a if I were listening to the roaring loom of time."

That's definitely how I feel some times, especially about the sound. It is so loud constantly. I love the sound of traffic right out my window, which is surprising. It's a constant, reassuring sound, and I love listening to it at night. Funny, given how hard it used to be for me to sleep. I suppose that it's more lulling than bad guitar or loud talking. 

We all watched the Inauguration together, and had a rousing round of cheers at the time, as well as arguments over Rick Warren, the oath flub, Prayer and God in the state and what ever else we thought to argue over. It need not be mentioned that we all started imbibing various at around 4 pm. But it seemed fitting at the time. 
So what else have I been doing besides toasting our new president? I went to classes, which are good, for the most part. I'll blog about that later. We went to the London Transport Museum! as part of one of my class. That was pretty good, though I wish I would have had more time... we only had about an hour and a half. And we all know that I love transport more than that. 

We've been out to various clubs and pubs. I think I've been to about 5 different pubs, from the Goat Tavern, to the Gloucester Arms, the Imperial Pub, The Queen's Larder,  and many more... we also went to a fairly upscale cocktail bar last night, in the furthest reaches of Zone two, Islington (ish), Drinks were two for one, which  was nice. I got some awesome heels, but they killed my feet. We walked all over last night, which is not what they are designed for. 
And that's all for now, I think. We'll see. 

No comments: