Saturday, February 7, 2009

One Month

It's our one month anniversary of being in London, and I feel like I've hit a brick wall.  For the first month, everyone got along great, we went out and about at every opportunity, pub crawled, didn't worry about homework, and in essence, continued our winter break. 
But now we've all had a month to settle in, and things are not running as smoothly. It's amazing what people will put up with for a month, while they're still shell-shocked. It's frustrating to have people complaining 24/7 about things that don't really matter. But it's equally frustrating to be in a group of people who aren't respectful of each other. I'd only like to say that 14 people + 1 kitchen= a night mare for those with OCD. As in, myself. 
So what cool things have I been doing?
Today, I went to the National Gallery, and saw some awesome paintings. It's my favorite museum and I loved being five feet away from Seurat's Bathers (though of course, it looks better from 10 feet away). I also loved their collection of Monets, Constables, and Hogarths. I didn't even know Hogarth did anything besides prints. You learn something new everyday.
I also was chatted up by an Italian boy who was selling me pizza, as was his duty as a good Italian boy. I was all on my lonesome, for some good quality me time, and randomly ran in to two of my flat mates. I didn't know that they would be out, nor them I. How crazy is it that in a massive city the size of London, we would run into each other? Bizarre, I tell you.
Also this week, we had a snow day!! It was very exciting, and for the first time in a long while, I was excited for the snow. My roommate, a flat mate, and I went to Hyde Park and made a punk rock snowman. Then, we left for five minutes, and some punks knocked it down. Those jerks. My roommate and I walked down to Sainsbury's which was an amusing experience, and trecked  back home. Let me tell you, a mile in the snow and back is rough work. We hit the pub with a couple of friends at about 3:30, and had an enjoyable afternoon playing Rummy 500, drinking cider, and watching the snow fall. It was a most excellent day. I've had three snow days in the the past three months, and all of them have been worthwhile. 
We only had school on Tuesday this week, but I wasn't terribly motivated to make the most of it. We were supposed to go to Stonehenge and Bath today, but that was cancelled due to bad weather in Bath. Originally, a few of the girls and I were planning to go to Dublin on this five day weekend, but the Bath trip cancelled our plans. So in the end, nothing about this week worked out right. Instead, we sat around the house, because it was freezing outside. Wednesday, we did go out to the Camden Markets, where I got an adorable purple plaid jacket. Friday, we went to Portabello Road Markets, which are mostly food on weekdays, but no one would make up their minds, and it was terribly cold, so we ate at a pub instead. I plan on returning for the falafel and olive bar in the coming weeks. 
Speaking of the coming weeks, next weekend, I'm off to Norfolk to see some family friends, and I'm very excited for it. Then the week after, it's my birthday, so I expect to have a good time, too. 
That's it for now; I uploaded new photos from the snow day to my flikr account, so click the link to the left for some snow pics. Hopefully, I'll add a few that Molly, my roommate took, of me and Mike with our creation. 

No comments: